Can Dogs Eat Snickers Bars & What to Do If They Did

Can Dogs Eat Snickers Bar? The short answer is Yes (but shouldn’t).

If your dog ate a Snickers bar, don’t panic (but do proceed with caution)!

Yes, chocolate is poisonous to dogs (dark chocolate moreso than milk), but it would take a lot of milk chocolate for your furry friend to get sick.

A medium size dog would have to eat about 12.5 ounces of chocolate for there to be a good chance of chocolate poisoning.

And even then, they would probably just have an upset stomach. So if your pooch ate a Snickers (or two), they will probably be just fine.

It is also important to note that a snickers bar is made up of roughly 35% milk chocolate.

Now the real problem lies in the fact that not all dogs are created equal, and no matter the amount of Snickers your pup ate, each dog could have a different reaction.

With that being said, it is always best to err on the side of caution and call your vet. They will be able to tell you if your dog needs to come in for a check-up or not.

can dogs eat snickers bar

Symptoms to Watch Out For if your Dog Ate Snickers

Ok, so your dog has a sweet tooth and ate some snickers. Beyond informing your Vet, there are a couple of symptoms and potential signs of chocolate poisoning you should be aware of and watch for, including:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive Thirst

These symptoms will signal that there is a potential problem and your dog needs to see the Vet.

Difference Between Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate

It is important to note that snickers are made of milk chocolate, which is not as dangerous as dark chocolate.

According to Pet Poison Help Line, any amount of milk chocolate ingested over .5 oz per pound of body weight can lead to chocolate poisoning.

On the flip side, it would take about .13 oz of dark chocolate per pound of body weight to have the same effect.

So we can conclude that dark chocolate is more dangerous to dogs than milk chocolate.

How Much Chocolate is Dangerous for Dogs who ate a Snickers Bar?

Now that we know we don’t have to worry about dark chocolate (unless you are one of those dark chocolate snicker individuals) as most snickers are made with milk chocolate.

Let’s assume that the average size dog is 25 lbs.

Based on this, this average size dog can consume up to 12.5 oz of milk chocolate before things become very dangerous.

Now, we must understand how much of each snickers bar is made up of chocolate.

According to the Snickers website, a regular size bar of snickers contains .7 oz of milk chocolate.

Unless you are having some kind of snickers party and there are bowls of snickers bars everywhere, it is highly unlikely that your dog will consume enough regular size bars of snickers to be at risk for chocolate poisoning.

Now if these are Dark Chocolate Snickers Bars, a 25lb dog can only have 3.25oz before it becomes dangerous, which is still a very small amount.

Other Dangers Associated with Dogs Eating Snickers

Along with concerns around chocolate poisoning, there is another danger to be aware of if your dog ate a Snickers bar.

The pesky wrapper!

We have all heard the horror stories of dogs eating wrappers and then either choking on them or having to get surgery to remove them from their stomachs.

So, if your dog is anything like mine, and ate the entire wrapper along with the Snickers bar, make sure to keep an eye on them.

A sign that the wrapper is causing a potential blockage or other problems, would be if your dog is vomiting.

It is safe to say, at this point, you would want to take your dog to the vet ASAP.

Bottom Line – My Dog Ate a Snickers Bar

We could do all the math in the world to try and determine if your dog will be okay after eating a Snickers bar, but the best thing to do is always call your vet.

Your vet will be able to ease your concerns and give you signs and symptoms to watch out for if your dog does start to feel sick.

When it comes to our furry friends, it is always better to be safe than sorry!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.